Sunday, January 13, 2013

I Scream. You Scream. We All Scream For Ice Cream

For my birthday this year, my dad gave me the ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid.  Thanks dad!  That was in October, and I just got to using it for the first time.  I knew the bowl needed some good freezing time so I stuck it in the freezer three days ago.  Plus, it took three whole days to get my butt to the store to get all of my ingredients.  I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before but I. Hate. Grocery. Shopping.

Mr. G picked out the first recipe:  Pumpkin Chocolate Chip.

I used the pumpkin ice cream recipe from the Kitchen Aid book and included the chocolate chips per Mr. G's suggestion.  I didn't argue here because pumpkin and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations.  I have to admit that the whole process of making ice cream was a bit daunting, but now that I was somewhat successful, the fear is gone.  I highly recommend the Kitchen Aid attachment.  It was easy to assemble and easy to use.  The recipe is easy to follow as well.  The ice cream base tasted so good that it almost didn't make it to the bowl to churn, I could have eaten it just like that.



Here is the recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Ice Cream courtesy of Kitchen Aid

1.5 cups of half and half
1.5 cups of heavy cream
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1.5 cups pumpkin puree (half a can)
1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Scald the half and half and heavy cream in a saucepan.  In the meantime, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla in a medium sized bowl.  Once the cream is hot, ladle 1 scoop of the hot cream into the egg mixture and whisk.  Add another scoop of cream to the egg mixture and whisk.  Add the bowl of egg into the remaining cream in the pot and whisk constantly until nice and thick, about ten minutes.  Do not bring liquid to a boil.  Remove from heat and add pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice.  Whisk together until smooth and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.

Once the ice cream base is well chilled, assemble the Kitchen Aid attachment and immediately add base.  Churn until thick, about 20 minutes, on Speed 1.  Add the chocolate chips to the last 2 minutes of churning.  Transfer to serving dishes and eat immediately or transfer to an airtight container and freeze.  The picture above is right from the mixer into an airtight dish, about to be frozen.

Little miss and I got so excited when it started to churn, I can't wait to teach her how to make it.  I know I'm not the only one making homemade ice cream so feel free to share recipes and stories!

0 comments:

Post a Comment