Monday, October 22, 2012

Autumn Sweater

One thing I miss about living in Upstate New York is the fall season.  I miss wearing a sweater and boots on cool days, going to a local orchard for apple picking and cider doughnuts, and the leaves changing color.  Even though we do get an occasional cool day here in Austin, the temperatures, for the most part, have been in the 80's.  The season just doesn't feel the same, almost like it is bypassed altogether. 

October is usually my favorite month as it is my birthday month but to me it is the true beginning of fall. 
It is the point when we start to have those crisp, cool mornings.  Halloween is right around the corner so the neighborhood homes start decorating.  Many people are at home on Sundays watching football.  To make it more fall like I will buy anything "pumpkin spice" or "apple pie" scented.  Those candles transform my whole house and make it warm and inviting.  I get into baking mode and have baked two apple pies in the last two weeks.  I promise dad, that I will make a lemon meringue soon.  I immerse myself in browns and reds and oranges, all the colors we associate with fall.  From pumpkins, to flowers, and everything in between.  It all reminds me of home.

One day, I will get back to New York in the fall and bring Sophie with me.  I'd love to show her where her mom and dad grew up and to visit family she hasn't met yet.  I want her to experience jumping in a pile of leaves and biting into an apple that she had to climb a tree to get.  I want to take the long, boring drive down I-88 to Oneonta, where I went to college, so she can see nature's beautiful colors.  And I will teach that girl how to make a pie. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment