Monday, October 8, 2012

The Farmer in the Dell

Ahhh the weekend.  I love nothing more than to have a day off from work and have some extra time at home.  I also love visiting the local farmers market on Saturdays.  It was a chilly morning so it was only a brief visit but I got some delicious goodies.

There are plenty of vendors at the Cedar Park Farms to Market.   You can find anything from fresh picked fruits and vegetables, meats, seafood, canned goods, and baked items.  There are both organic and non-organic items, but all local.  Even though I still can't get used to the heat here in Texas, one perk is that the farmers market is open year round. 


My first stop was to Cake and Spoon.   This place has the BEST scones and I almost always stop by to get one to share with Little Miss.  The owner usually brings about 3 varities of scones as well as some homemade tarts.  I decided to try the apple tart since apple pie is one of my favorite sweet treats.  It's great for breakfast!  This one had a wonderful crust, flaky and buttery. 


Then it was off to Sweetish Hill Bakery.  I got a loaf of sourdough to make some yummy homemade paninis, but also scored this awesome loaf of tomato and mozzarella foccacia.  As you can see, I dug right in when I got home.  Great with a bowl of soup! 


My main reason for coming to this farmers market is that not only is it close to home (about 15 minutes away), but it also has The Peached Tortilla, a travelling food truck.  Food trucks have become a popular foodie staple, especially in Austin.  There are plenty of food trucks in this town, but this is one of my favorites.  I always get their Banh Mi taco, which has vietnamese braised pork belly, pickled daikon and carrot salad, siracha mayo, and cilantro.  Does that not sound amazing or what?  Since I had not eaten breakfast yet, I decided to try one of their specials of the day, a chinese chicken BBQ taco.  This taco had chunks of chicken with red cabbage slaw and hoison sauce.  Be sure to click on their link to see their full menu and check them out. 



If you hit up your local farmers market, feel free to share what your favorite finds are.  What did everyone else do this weekend?

0 comments:

Post a Comment