Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You Are What You Eat

Recently, I have had a bout of bad health. Instead of being down about it, I've decided to take control and change my bad health habits. I am not one to exercise, loathe it actually, but know the benefits of it. I have always been interested in nutrition so this part comes easy to me. I know what I should and shouldn't eat. This is common sense really. Lucky for me, I love my fruit and veggies.

The dilemma I am having is whether or not I should follow a vegetarian/vegan diet. Mr. G has been vegan for a few months now and says he is feeling great. My issue with it is that it is a little more time consuming than maybe a vegetarian diet. You have to look at ingredients closely to make sure there is no dairy or animal products of any kind. I don't have time for this. I think becoming mostly vegetarian for the time being will be the better option. I use the word mostly because I am a foodie at heart and when I have the chance to get to a decent restaurant, I would like to eat what I want.

Most of the time I will cut out all meat, poultry, and seafood (please know that I am dying inside, just a little). I don't really want to eat dairy, especially cheese, because of the saturated fat. Need to keep my arteries clean, know what I mean? Milk is not a problem since I refuse to drink a glass of regular milk, only with chocolate in it, but the sugar has got to go. I do like my cereal, but almond milk will suffice. Finally, I am not a big egg eater, so this shouldn't be a problem. Although, a breakfast taco sounds pretty good right now...

Moving on.

I won't go to the extreme to look at ingredients to make sure there is no milk or other dairy in certain items. For example, bread. There are so many bread options in the grocery store. Most of them contain milk. I spent 15 minutes in the bread aisle one day looking for a loaf of bread that didn't contain milk for Mr. G. When he is home, I don't have a choice in the matter, but when he's not, forget it. I may change my mind eventually but for now it's baby steps. I don't want to find myself at the nearby Whataburger at midnight getting my meat fix.

Of course, I will try to eat organic as much as possible. I would even like to start a garden since it's a little cooler here in Little Mexico. Wish me luck on my path to good health. Keep yah posted!

0 comments:

Post a Comment